A Grand read

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Mysticism mixed with Christian theology


 The Sacred Year

The Sacred YearMapping the Soulscape of Spiritual Practice -- How Contemplating Apples, Living in a Cave, and Befriending a Dying Woman Revived My Life

By Michael Yankoski 


I really liked the front of this book so was a little taken back by the authors writing!  I was particularly touched by the idea of writing gratigraphs, letters of appreciation to people who have blessed our lives, from his chapter on gratitude.  

I began this book thinking this would give me some insight into growing closer to the Lord and learning  from others struggles.  I wanted to make  this fall and the yar 2015  a better one!  I also thought this volume would be making me more apt to seek out a more purposeful life for Christ, but honestly I felt none of that as I read it. The only thing the book really left me with was a sense that it was a bit too new age-y for my liking or catholic .  I felt like the author was in another time where men lived a lone like hermits. .

I felt like  Michael focused to much on himslef. Let  me show you an example. . He gains an insight into his own mortality digging a grave by hand. "The fact that I'm going to be down there someday. That we're all going to be down there someday. And the whole world will just keep on going about its business above us, like we were never even here."(pg 114).

I did get one good  quote  an a yummy bread recipe from the book "The God who called you into existence ex nihilo---out of nothing---is the same God who holds you in existence this moment and every moment. Were he to withdraw this hand, you would vanish without memory.....he wants you to exist. And not just exist. He wants you to live life in all its fullness."

I do agree that we as Christians today do need to do more in our lives to really seek the Lord and His will and often times our life is too busy and running so fast that we aren’t still enough to hear His voice
 I don’t agree with many of his viewpoints, Thus in the end I felt like  I was left hanging. Not worth the read
 I received The Sacred Year by Michael Yankoski compliments of Thomas Nelson Publishers and Litfuse Publicity for my honest review. I did not receive any monetary compensation for a favorable review and the opinions expressed here are strictly my own unless otherwise notated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment