A Grand read

Monday, April 27, 2015

world war II

I did a study on world war 2 last year since I had found an old article I wrote.

Using  Craig Shirley's book December 1941, I became   very interested,in a  day-by-day summary of all that went on in one of the most important months of all of World War II. Each chapter is an account of one day, and overall it makes for a very interesting book.

The amount of research put into this book is outstanding. December 1941 is best read a chapter a day. Then move on to how America helped Russia.

The book itself was quite interesting. It's well-written and easy to read.I would recommend to anyone into World War II history or history in general.

Then read what i wrote!

Olga Krasavtserva was born in the year of 1928 in Voronezh, Russia, then moved to Voronezh Russia, where she was residing at the end of World War.  She attended Voronezh Secondary School No.4. This school was a typical state school but there were no others to attend at that time so she managed to learn fairly well in this school.
The Russians always believed the war began on June 22 1941 but their belief was the war was a great waste of time. A t the time that Nazi troops attacked the U.S.S.R, Olga was 13 and entering 6th class. Upon her hearing of the war the message was as dim as if no sun brightened the sky and the fear of war began with air-raid attacks.  These took place every night and yet even when they lasted but a short length of time fear struck all. September 1914 brought more Nazi attacks as they bombarded the Voronezh Aircraft Plant. This plant was located at a safe distant from where Olga lived yet she heard the never fading sound of exploding bombs. Many of her days were spent in fear, hiding in bomb shelters with her family and the people of the land where such a terrible and evil war raged.


The land was becoming a battle zone and by October 1941 evacuation began as Olga, her mother and grandmother left for Barnaul, Alta Siberia.  At that time Olga was a student in the 6th class and in a new city she continued her education in a Barnaul school. The number of children that had evacuated was tremendously high causing every classroom to be packed and yet everyone one was well taught in these troubled days. 
Finally in 1942 things took a turn for the better and on April 1st Olga and her family returned to their home.  At this time the air raids were not often accruing thus all schools were open. 
A child's holiday was to take place June 13th 1942 in the city’s children’s park but Olga was in punishment and dint get to go and enjoy what she thought would be fun and laughter.  In the end her life was saved because of being unable to attend the celebration.  It was no accident that the polite of one aircraft should drop a number of bombs on this park which was located in the center of the city with no factories or military camps near to aid in defending the park.  The number of children that were the victims of such a sudden and terrible death is not know but it is assumed that a large number were killed.  Olga was indeed thankful her life had been spared.  
The days following this bombing brought more and more air-raids, they seemed to come non stop causing Olga to fear very much for her life.  July 1942 saw Olga and her grandmother and mother leave their hometown of Voronezh once again to travel 70 miles away. After this Olga’s mother made an attempt to return to work in her own village but it was found that large battles were going on that blocked all roads to Voronezh, so Olga’s mother also stayed behind.
Not long passed before the family took a trip by automobile and train to a new village that of Uralska in Western Kazakhstan.  There Olga continued her education but by November 1942 all schools closed as the building was turned into a hospital.  All children were sent to work with bricks or in bread plants.  Olga at age 14 worked in a bread plant in the toast workshop.
In the ears of the war food was scares and many of the people as well as Olga nearly starved.  The food was given out in rations bought with a special stamp.  Bread for instance was ¾ a pound per child.  As time went on every bit of food at the market was held dearly and costs went up.  Bread cost 100 rubles and most people never had that much money.  A glass of salt cost just as much but a silver cigarette case cost 500 rubles.  In the spring of 1943 Olga and her family got a small plot of land where they were able to grow vegetables including tomatoes and potatoes which did wanders to the hungry family.
Fashions at the time of were no doubt military.  Boys wore parts of military clothing while the girls had to be content with their grandmother and mother’s old clothing.  Summer footwear was made at home made from cloth and old coats.  In the cold of winter warm woolen socks were worn in rubber galoshes. 
Things got better in 1944 as America came to aid Olga and her people by sending clothing and shoes for the boys of the land, which indeed made everyone very glad. 
Olga’s fondest memories were of when the war came to a close.  All day one could hear by radio the news of War has ended and the people all went out on the streets.  In their joy neighbors were a woken from a nights sleep to join the laughter.  To Olga it seemed everyone was out on the streets kissing and crying with joy.  Music and dancing and fireworks filled the night in which everyone was extremely joyful.  To Olga it was a joy to know war had ended and she and her family were a live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment